I don't have fireflies in my garden - which is a shame... only cats, bees, a dog and the odd dragonfly!! So please settle down with a cuppa, put your feet up and enjoy!

Sunday, February 2, 2014

TUSAL - is it January or February??

Aim for the moon. If you miss, you may hit a star.
~ W. Clement Stone  ~

We have all heard of a "Blue Moon" which is what they call the second Full Moon in a calendar month, but do you know what we call the second new moon in a calendar month?  Apparently it is called a Dark Moon or a Black Moon.  Another little fact I discovered is that the two New Moons in January 2014 are also Supermoons.  The January new moons are perigee new moons which "means a new or full moon which occurs with the moon at or near (within 90% of) its closest approach to Earth".

It's amazing what you can find out on the interweb!

Anyway, enough of that Astronomy stuff, let's have a look at the ORT's jar and see what is lurking in there from my stitching over the last month.

TUSAL - January part 2  - the supermoon
Second new moon of 2014
I know it probably looks like there is a lot of ORT's in the jar at the moment which might mean I have been doing lots of stitching.... well, I guess that is sort of correct, but some of the ORT's are just very long gold ORT's from my secret stitching.  I love the look of metallic thread, but sometimes it can be so frustrating stitching with it, and I do often find that I end up with longer ORT's than normal as the thread just frays a bit too much for further stitching.  Which means my ORT's jar looks a lot fuller than it probably should do at this stage of the year!!

Photos of the secret stitching will be revealed next week.  It is all stitched but I now need to go fabric hunting for just the right colour fabric to finish it into a hanging.  I thought that I had the perfect one until I went to put it all together today and now that fabric just doesn't look right.  Am I the only one who changes their mind on what fabric to finish with?  Somehow I think not!

There are also some black ORT's in the jar from my latest start... but I will tell you more about that in my next post.

That's it for this ORT report.  If you would like to sign up and join in the fun this year, then pop on over to Daffycat's blog and leave a comment saying that you're in and start collecting your ORT's!

The next 2014 ORT report will be ready for publication on or around 1st March 2014.

New Moons - 2014
1st March
30th March
28th April
28th May
27th June
26th July
25th August
23rd September
23rd October
22nd November
21st December

Til next time happy stitching!



Be Happy
Hugs,
Noni xx

5 comments:

  1. It is amazing what you can find out on the internet. I quite often wonder about something (say when a movie was made) and google it.

    I've totally forgotten to do my TUSAL this month. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow...It is a very frustrating stitching with metallic thread!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was trying to remember what it was like to hunt for a reference book in the library using the Dewey decimal system!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Thank you so much for that lession. I always love to Learn stuff.
    Good luck with your stitching

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kaye made a great post too about this blue moon =)
    it's always so great to learn new things...really
    metallic threads...in the same bag as French knots for me =D
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. If you are a no-reply commenter, I will try and remember to leave my reply directly on your blog comment, otherwise I will reply via email! ♥ Note, I have had to enable comment moderation due to the number of spam comments I am currently receiving. Hopefully I can return to normal comment publishing soon :)