I don't have fireflies in my garden - which is a shame... only cats, bees, a dog and the odd dragonfly!! So please settle down with a cuppa, put your feet up and enjoy!

Tuesday, August 9, 2016

The Alphabet Club - Detention for Letter "M"

"They only met online, but it changed their lives forever"
It's time for "The Alphabet Club" (TAC)

Maccas (pron. "mackers") : McDonald's (the hamburger place)
Mallee bull, as fit as a : very fit and strong. The Mallee is very arid beef country in Victoria/South Australia.
Mate : buddy, friend
Mate's rate, mate's discount : cheaper than usual for a "friend"
Matilda : swagman's bedding, sleeping roll
Metho : methylated spirits
Mickey Mouse : excellent, very good. Beware though - in some parts of Australia it means inconsequential, frivolous or not very good!
Middy : 285 ml beer glass in New South Wales
Milk bar : corner shop that sells takeaway food
Milko : milkman
Mob : group of people, not necessarily troublesome
Mob : family or group of kangaroos
Moolah : money
Mozzie : mosquito
Muddy : mud crab (a great delicacy)
Mug : friendly insult ("have a go, yer mug"), gullible person
Muster : round up sheep or cattle
Mystery bag : a sausage


"It's moments like these that you need Minties"
Minties is a brand of confectionery originating in Australia and manufactured in both Australia and New Zealand. They are a hard, white and chewy, square mint-flavoured lolly, which on chewing become so sticky that they are notorious for causing fillings to come out! Minties are wrapped in waxed paper with a cartoon underneath the logo with the common caption "It's moments like these you need Minties".  About 500 million are consumed each year.

Below is a Minties moment caption that I prepared earlier for you!!!


So that's it for my slightly late post of the Alphabet Club!



Hooroo for now!  Happy Stitching!
Hugs xx



If you would like to join in the fun of "The Alphabet Club", pop over to Chiara's blog (The Grey Tail) to see what all the fun is about and link up your post for the Letter "M".  Posting is generally the first Saturday of the month.

14 comments:

  1. Never heard of Minties. Sound like a dentist's best friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list of Oz words, and some new ones to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was very interesting and educational blog post..so nice to get know about your language and culture.Thanks for visiting my blog again !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mighty interesting post..love the sound of those Minties!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post. I'll avoid the Minties too! Fun idea to have the cartoons though. And wrapper must be useful to wrap the bits of tooth in when it falls out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great 'M' choices and oh, Minties, I well remember the days when it was safe for my teeth to eat one but no longer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fair number of new to me words in that list and the Minties sound delish - and dangerous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always look forward to your Alphabet Blogs they are so much fun..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, great M post, I'll try to remember Moolah and Mozzie, it's moments like these you're happy to have blogging friends all around the world. Bisous

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post the Mickey Mouse is interesting. I'd be afraid to say it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooo Minties sound wonderful! I love mint-flavored things and I think I'd be safe eating them. Moolah is common in the USA too but not the others! Mystery bag for sausages! LOL! I think it would fit a hot dog better. :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lots and lots of Australiana, most of them unknown to me. What I have already heard is "mate" - it often occurs in movies - and Matilda, of course. Very interesting, the other ones.
    It's the first time that I'm not eager to try your food example because the name promises a taste of mint and that's something I don't like. So, that's why, lol.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. If you are a no-reply commenter, I will try and remember to leave my reply directly on your blog comment, otherwise I will reply via email! ♥ Note, I have had to enable comment moderation due to the number of spam comments I am currently receiving. Hopefully I can return to normal comment publishing soon :)