I don't have fireflies in my garden - which is a shame... only cats, bees, a dog and the odd dragonfly!! So please settle down with a cuppa, put your feet up and enjoy!

Monday, March 27, 2017

WIPocalypse Check In - March 2017

WIPocalypse is hosted by Measi's Musings
WIPocalypse is run by Melissa over at Measi's Musings and is now in it's 6th year (amazing!).  The object of the WIPocalypse is to stitch on projects that you want to complete before the end of the world! 

At the beginning of January I picked out 17 WIPocalypse projects to work on in 2017.  The full list of my 17 projects can be found on my WIPocalypse 2017 page.

So what did I manage to work on during March?

Definitely more progress on my regular WIPs this month and there is some progress to show on two other WIPs that came out of the basket during March as well.  Progress pics below for your viewing pleasure:

Deer and Grapes Mystery SAL (Jean Farish)
This is where this project was when you last saw it at the end of February:
28 Feb 2017
It now looks like this:
26 March 2017
I do a minimum of 17 stitches a day on this project and it is growing quite quickly now.

Faces of Joan Elliot (Joan Elliot)
This one didn't appear in my February update.... but it is here in March!  No more progress on the Holly Fairy - instead I started the Unicorn


12 Days of Christmas (Plum Street Samplers)

Third Day is almost done.... but I am going to leave the update photo for now and show you at the end of the month once it is completed

Halloween Happiness (Sandra Cozzolino)

Next themed part of this design (2 x E's) is also close to a finish - I will have a finish photo at the end of the month for this one also.

Snow Story (Lizzie Kate)
The last time I showed this one on my blog was at the end of Dec 2016 when I finished the "Cold Hands" section.
Stitched on 32ct Belfast - "Into the Blue" from Stitches and Spice
Threads: Weeks Dye Works
Dec 2016
During March I managed to finish the middle section (Warm Hearts)
March 2017
Only one more section to do on this now and it will be finished!

Mini Mandala II - C (Chatelaine)
Another WIP that made it's way out of the WIP basket this month for some love is my Chatelaine. This is the third Mini in the Mini Mandala II pack.  The last time I showed it on my blog there wasn't a lot to show.
Sept/Oct 2016
March 2017
I just love the colours of the outer centre piece.  The variation in the NPI silks is subtle but makes for a stunning change to the blue in the very centre.  I think I will have to stitch on this one again during April as it starting to call my name already!

So that's the update bit out of the way.... now onto the question of the month:

What stitchy blogs, groups, or flosstubes do you follow and why?
Well... that is a good question!

Blogs: I have been following blogs for a number of years now.. I started reading blogs around 2009 and started blogging in Oct 2010.  During that time I have collected a considerable number of blogs on my reading list.  I do have a blog roll list on my side bar which will give you an idea of who I follow and try to read as often as I can.  A lot of the blogs I follow are the "oldies" who have been blogging for a number of years.  I started reading them as a source of inspiration for my stitching and as a way to make connections with people who also have this mad obsession with stitching as I do!

Groups: I am in a huge number of FB groups - some of which I am more active in than others.  I love the designer groups - it is great to see how people interpret the designs and seeing designs stitched/finished often is better than seeing the original model piece (as we all know that the model photos don't always do the finished piece any justice!)  Besides the designer groups, I love the FB group "Stitch Maynia" - they have some great SAL's each month which are a great reason to get stitching on some of those unloved WIP's as you can stitch on anything at all as long as you can shoe-horn it into SAL theme!  There are a couple of other FB groups that also have great SAL's that I am also in... "Cross Stitch It's Fun", "Stitch from Stash", "Cross Stitch Finish Line" to name a few :o)

Flosstube: now there is a rabbit hole that you can go down and never come out of!!  I really enjoy watching Flosstube while I am travelling to work each day on the train, sometimes while stitching on the weekend, and always when I am doing my ironing/washing folding on a Sunday morning!  It's a great way to make those menial tasks a lot more palatable!  I do have some favourites that I have to watch (Vonna, Kay's Cross Stitch, Stash Queen, Queen of Starts, Stitcherista, Ms Oh Sew Crafty, Coffee Stitcher, Jessie Marie, Dena - the list goes on and on...) and then there are all the new people (like me) that appear each week... I don't think I will ever catch up on them all!

There is a distinct change in the stitching world these days and Blogging, FB and Flosstube are all great ways for people, both new and old to stitching, to find out more about designers, fabrics, threads, what works and what doesn't - the list goes on!  I hope that blogging stays around for a long time and doesn't get swallowed up by FB and Flosstube (even though I am involved in both of those as well!).  You never forget your first love :o)

So that's it for the March's WIPocalypse update!  Next month's check in is on Sunday 30th April 2017.  If you want to see what everyone else has posted, drop into Measi's blog and check out the March link up page.

Til then, happy stitching and good luck with your WIPocalypse projects!
Hugs xx

10 comments:

  1. Mini mandala is really coming along. Snow Friends is adorable. Great progress on your Dear & Grapes. And thank you for the mention. I will look for your channel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your stitching on Deer and Grapes and on your snowman piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome update Noni. You have made great progress on all of these projects.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work this month. LOVE the Chatelaine and the colours. Feeling the guilt over the Joan Elliott SAL as mine is a UFO right now.
    I agree with you about blogs, I do hope they outlast FB and FlossTube even if it's only because it's so much easier to find things on a blog! I'm always looking back at old posts for reference. It's so much harder to do that on FlossTube or FB.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful progress on all your gorgeous projects. I agree with your answers. I love blogging best and hope it sticks around forever.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your wips are really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lots of lovely little x's you've putting in, great progress on everything.
    I only do blogging, not a FB person, but I have watched a couple of flosstubes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great blog post. Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  9. well done! good progress on your wips!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great to see all your progress, love 12 days, I haven't start mine (maybe during next holidays?). xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. I do reply (eventually) via email. If you are a no-reply commenter, I will try and remember to leave my reply directly on your blog comment! ♥