I don't have fireflies in my garden - which is a shame... only cats, bees, a dog and the odd dragonfly!! So please settle down with a cuppa, put your feet up and enjoy!

Wednesday, March 1, 2017

WIPocalypse Check In - February 2017

WIPocalypse is hosted by Measi's Musings
WIPocalypse is run by Melissa over at Measi's Musings and is now in it's 6th year (amazing!).  The object of the WIPocalypse is to stitch on projects that you want to complete before the end of the world! 

At the beginning of January I picked out 17 WIPocalypse projects to work on in 2017.  The full list of my 17 projects can be found on my WIPocalypse 2017 page.

So what did I manage to work on during February?  Pretty much the same projects as last month!

Deer and Grapes Mystery SAL (Jean Farish)
This is where this project was when you last saw it at the end of January:


It now looks like this:

12 Days of Christmas (Plum Street Samplers)
Second Day is almost done....

Halloween Happiness (Sandra Cozzolino)
Mini finish - the witch and her familiars are done

Isn't she just so cute!

So that's the update bit out of the way.... now onto the question of the month:

What is your favorite stitch other than the standard cross stitch?  (bonus points if you provide a how-to link or diagram it on your blog post!)

I am not sure if I have favourite stitch other than the standard cross stitch... but I will admit that I am one of the weird ones that actually likes doing back stitch! I think that back stitch gives a design definition and often lifts the design from drab to amazing!  There are some designs that don't need it, but for those that do, back stitch really brings out the features.  Margaret Sherry is one designer that uses a lot of back stitch to bring out the characters in her designs.

Below are two pictures of something I prepared before which shows exactly what I mean:
Before back stitch
(progress pic - more cross stitching was also needed before this was finished!)
Final finish...
the mouse really stands out after the back stitch is added
As far as instructions go... there are heaps of tutorials out there in the stitching world in various forms (ie web, magazines, books, blogs).  A quick search of the interweb bought up the following diagram and instructions for basic back stitch from Sublime Stitching


Make a single, straight stitch (1-2) as long or short as you want. (I make mine approx 1/4" or a bit shorter.) Continue along your pattern line, but come up a space ahead (3) and bring your needle back down into the same hole at the end of the last stitch you made.

Another good tutorial for back stitching with cross stitch patterns can be found on the Scarlett Quince website - link is here


So that's it for the February's WIPocalypse update!  Next month's check in is on Sunday 26th March 2017.  If you want to see what everyone else has posted, drop into Measi's blog and check out the February link up page.

Til then, happy stitching and good luck with your WIPocalypse projects!
Hugs xx

13 comments:

  1. Good progress on the WIPocalypse projects. I agree back stitching adds so much to some of the designs .Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great progress on your WIPocalypse projects and great tutorial on back stitching, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Deer and Mystery SAL looks lovely. Back stitch is not my favourite part of my hobby but I do agree it enhances many designs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've had a great month! I don't mind backstitching either. I have stitched 3 of the Bothy Threads Cut Thru designs and they really need backstitch for all the cute, quirky detail.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great progress on some lovely projects!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice progress on all of your projects Noni.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great work on Jean this month and the lovely colours on 12 Days.
    I'm quite happy to do backstitch, you are right. It really does make the design come to life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A short month but an effective job, great post. Just one question, Jo said her witch is tipsy, how feels your witch, maybe it's too hard to walk with high-heeled shoes? Great backstitch too! Amitiés

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great progress. I agree with you backstitching makes the designs come to life.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Deer is such a beautiful design, the colours and so delightful.
    Love to see your version of the Plum Street Sampler SAL, its so different.

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh yes! and a good example you have there! Especially on Margaret Sherry designs, it's the backstitch that shows us everything ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. My favorite would be the Jean Farish sampler. That top border is fantastic.
    Very interesting to see how different PSS's Twelve Days look when stitched in different colors and threads. Amazing.
    And wonderful progress on your other projects. That little moue is so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your colors for 12 days. Everything looks great! I like backstitch too unless I leave a whole large project until the end lol

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. If you are a no-reply commenter, I will try and remember to leave my reply directly on your blog comment, otherwise I will reply via email! ♥ Note, I have had to enable comment moderation due to the number of spam comments I am currently receiving. Hopefully I can return to normal comment publishing soon :)