I don't have fireflies in my garden - which is a shame... only cats, bees, a dog and the odd dragonfly!! So please settle down with a cuppa, put your feet up and enjoy!

Tuesday, July 5, 2016

The Alphabet Club - Detention for Letter "L"

"They only met online, but it changed their lives forever"
It's time for "The Alphabet Club" (TAC)


Lair/Lairy: a flashily dressed young man of brash and vulgar behaviour, to dress up in flashy clothes, to renovate or dress up something in bad taste (it's a bit lairy!)
Larrikin: a bloke who is always enjoying himself, harmless prankster
Lend of, to have a: to take advantage of somebody's gullibility, to have someone on ("he's having a lend of you") 
Lingo: language
Lizard drinking, flat out like a: flat out, busy
Lob, lob in: drop in to see someone ("the rellies have lobbed") 
Local rag: local newspaper
Lollies: sweets, candy
Longneck: 750ml bottle of beer in South Australia
Lucky Country, The: Australia, where else?

Now there is only one food that springs to mind when you think of Aussie foods beginning with "L" - Lamingtons!!!


These scrummy cakes are pieces of sponge cake dipped in chocolate and rolled in coconut... plain and simple!  Although these days they are being changed to be red, green or yellow instead of chocolate and sometimes are cut in half and filled with jam and cream.  Nothing beats the classic plain lamington though.

There is some confusion about exactly how it was discovered but most of the stories tend to agree it was named for Lord Lamington (Governor of Queensland) and that it was invented either by accident, or design, by his chef or maidservant in the late 1890's/early 1900's.  It doesn't really matter... they taste just the same now matter how they came about!!

So that's it for my very late post of the Alphabet Club!



Hooroo for now!  Happy Stitching!
Hugs xx



If you would like to join in the fun of "The Alphabet Club", pop over to Chiara's blog (The Grey Tail) to see what all the fun is about and link up your post for the Letter "L".  Posting is generally the first Saturday of the month.

11 comments:

  1. ooOoo! Those lamingtons look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many new words I have learned today. I don't think I will try to use all of them in a sentence but I really do wish I could taste a Lamigan they sound delicious

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another great alphabet post and an interesting cake!
    Some of the slang is familiar to me but lend, lob and lizard drinking are all new. And a lolly is always an ice-lolly never anything warmer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And my vocabulary grows a little bigger! The lamingtons look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting post, love these alphabet posts, I´m always discovering lots of yummy recipes

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lamingtons, just the description sounds super yummy! Lizard drinking sounded funny. Thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great L post.Love the 'Lizard drinking' saying:) and the picture of the Lamingtons.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cool phrases! I only knew two of them...both food of course :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Late for my Aussie Lesson with Lovely Léonie! Allways funny to discover so much words. We have a accidental dessert too here, it is the "Sisters Tatin Pie" a Serendipitous... cooking! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Recognise a couple of the L words, and I seem to think that they had those cakes when I used to watch Neighbours many years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Whenever I should happen to visit Australia I have to make a list of all the food thingies that you mentioned in order to try them all. Particularly the sweet ones like these Lamingtons.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. I do reply (eventually) via email. If you are a no-reply commenter, I will try and remember to leave my reply directly on your blog comment! ♥