I don't have fireflies in my garden - which is a shame... only cats, bees, a dog and the odd dragonfly!! So please settle down with a cuppa, put your feet up and enjoy!

Monday, June 6, 2016

The Alphabet Club - Detention for Letter "K"

"They only met online, but it changed their lives forever"
It's time for "The Alphabet Club" (TAC)


Oops.... I completely missed the first Saturday of June... but here I am with my post for the next letter of the alphabet... "K"

Below are a couple of Aussie "K" words... nothing too exciting I'm afraid!

Kangaroos loose in the top paddock: Intellectually inadequate ("he's got kangaroos loose in the top paddock")
Kelpie: Australian sheepdog originally bred from Scottish collie
Kero: kerosene
Kindie: kindergarten
Knock: to criticise
Knock back: refusal (noun), refuse (transitive verb)
Knocker: somebody who criticises

Two of our national animals start with a "K"..  Kangaroos and Koalas

web image
Both of these animals are well loved by Australians and both have featured in lots of TV shows and stories over the years.  I grew up with 2 iconic children's stories - "Skippy the Bush Kangaroo" and "Blinky Bill".
web image
2016 marks the 50th Anniversary of Skippy the Bush Kangaroo on Australian Television.  The show ran from 1966 - 1970 in the first instance, however it was repeated for many years on Australian TV.

web image
Blinky Bill is an anthropomorphic koala and children's fictional character created by author and illustrator Dorothy Wall and he first appeared in 1933.  The books are considered quintessential Australian children's classics, and have never been out of print in Australia.  There has also been an animated series on TV as well as a movie produced over the last few years.

As you have seen over the last couple of posts I started back stitching on my ABC Chats during the Stitch MAYnia challenge.  My kitties now look like this:


So while I may have now started D, E, F & G.... I am still behind...

That's it for my "K" post.... see you again soon with another stitching update and a couple of finishes.



Hooroo for now!  Happy Stitching!
Hugs xx



If you would like to join in the fun of "The Alphabet Club", pop over to Chiara's blog (The Grey Tail) to see what all the fun is about and link up your post for the Letter "K".  Posting is generally the first Saturday of the month.

11 comments:

  1. Very interesting post and this month's phrases are really different from what we use here. "Knock back" is often used in association with quickly finishing an alcoholic drink and for intellectually inadequate "few bricks short of a load" or "elevator doesn't go all the way to the top" are a couple that get used here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It just so happens, last week I was out walking, up here in Central New York, USA, and a man with the most beautiful dog walked by - and when I asked him what about his dog, he told me he was a Kelpie. These Alphabet posts are so much fun

    ReplyDelete
  3. What lovely memory from my youth you gave to me with Skippy I used to watch on TV. ThanK you! Hugs and Kisses!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm all excited at your K post, we have a copy of the Blinky Bill book here. A friend if my mums emigrated many years ago and sent it to my son when he was very small. We also have a musical koala lol :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great post. I always love reading yours....and learn so much....
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kute post! And I love that kangaroos and koalas are cute but feisty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another fun post - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a fun post. May be I will grab a copy of these classics and read it myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So very interesting, Leonie. Of course, I love that expression with the loose kangaroos, lol. Makes me laugh when I imagine the picture that is involved. And you even have an expression that we have here as well - Kindi is the common abbreviation when you talk about Kindergarten, but only when you talk, never when you write.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great alphabet post. I featured a Kelpie in my Hallowe'en post too, bit different to your's LOL.
    We don't even use the word Kindergarten here, it's either Nursery or Preschool.
    Of course we all know about Skippy The Bush Kangaroo too, it was shown on our TV in the 1970s too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful K post, Noni - much sweeter than mine (on the dark side, again!). Oh, wasn't Skippy so much fun?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. I do reply (eventually) via email. If you are a no-reply commenter, I will try and remember to leave my reply directly on your blog comment! ♥