I don't have fireflies in my garden - which is a shame... only cats, bees, a dog and the odd dragonfly!! So please settle down with a cuppa, put your feet up and enjoy!

Saturday, May 7, 2016

The Alphabet Club - Detention for Letter "J"

"They only met online, but it changed their lives forever"
It's time for "The Alphabet Club" (TAC)


Well, it's that time of the month again... the first Saturday of May has now arrived which means that it is time to head for detention and do up a post for the next letter of the alphabet... "J"

There really isn't a lot of "J" words that are unique to Australia... and to be honest I think I am taking a couple liberties with the list below... but here goes!

Jackaroo: a male trainee station manager or station hand (a station is a big farm/grazing property)
Jelly: a flavoured water based gelatin desert (jell-o) - Aeroplane Jelly is the best!!
Jiffy: a very short time eg: I'll be back in a jiffy
Jillaroo: a female trainee station manager or station hand
Joe Bloggs: an average person in the street
Joey: baby kangaroo
Journo: journalist
Jumbuck: sheep (as mentioned in the song "Waltzing Matilda")

I must admit that I struggled this month trying to find something iconic to talk about for "J".. but I did come up with Jaffas!
Jaffas is an Australian registered trademark for a small round sweet consisting of a soft chocolate centre with a hard covering of orange flavoured, red coloured confectionery. The name derives from the Jaffa orange. The sweet is part of both Australiana and Kiwiana.  Through association with this sweet, Jaffa is sometimes used to describe a chocolate-orange flavour.

James Stedman-Henderson's Sweets Ltd released Jaffas onto the Australian and New Zealand markets in 1931.  The confectionery is currently made in Australia by Allen's lollies, a division of Nestlé and in New Zealand by Cadbury. The Cadbury Jaffas are also exported to Australia.

I haven't had a Jaffa since I was a kid... but I do have fond memories of them, especially when we were at the drive-in movies as they were great to throw at the people sitting in front of you!! :o)

Now I am pretty sure that other countries also have Jaffas or something similar.. but I couldn't think of anything else that started with a "J" except Aeroplane Jelly and that's a real stretch for a J word!!


As you have seen over the last couple of posts I have started back stitching on my ABC Chats.  With a bit of luck I will soon have another one to show on the Alphabet posts!

So that's all for today.... it's back to my Stitch Maynia starts now!



Hooroo for now!  Happy Stitching!
Hugs xx



If you would like to join in the fun of "The Alphabet Club", pop over to Chiara's blog (The Grey Tail) to see what all the fun is about and link up your post for the Letter "I".  Posting is generally the first Saturday of the month.

14 comments:

  1. I was thinking of going back under the duvet to visit blogs (back from holidays, so late to read posts) when I saw your J post was already on line (it's 8am here). Great pleasure to discover your J words (I'll be back in a jiffy will certainly be used often in the next days). And Jaffas are so tempting. Bisous. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha nice ones! There were some words I had never heard of great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great "J" post, Noni - you know I agonised over my "J" word for this month and for some reason, I didn't think of any of your words (duh! How dumb am I?????) I went in a totally different direction and it is a much darker post, not as much fun as yours. K xxxx )P.S. I will post tomorrow morning our time as I have already posted today)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, Noni! I've never heard of any of these except Joey and Jiffy. Think I'll hop on over to Chiara's blog and join in next month!
    Hugs
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard of quite a few of the J words and interesting sweets!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Who would have thought that a station is agrazing property? Interesting words and sweets.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting post Noni.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmm.. Jaffas. We have McVities and Cadbury's Jaffa Cakes here but they are a spongy base with an orange centre and dark chocolate on top. I like the McVities one because the orange is sharper,not as sweet as Cadbury's.
    Allens Jaffas look interesting..ours are inside compared with them:)I did not know about a Gillaroo or Jumbuck,great post Noni.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another great Alphabet Club post.
    Jaffa Cakes are awesome! Lesley is right, the McVities are the original ones. Cadburies copied!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post! I googled Aeroplane Jelly. Wow what cute recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Javas sound tasty. The vocabulary was about 50-50 known and new. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Another interesting post! Thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Always so fun to read..
    Ill be back in a Jiffy.. need to remeber that one..
    And sheep???? funny..

    ReplyDelete
  14. Always so interesting to read about Australian expressions. This time my favourites are Jackaroo and Jillaroo :) And no, I have never seen anything like Jaffas over here, but then I'm not really up-to-date with this kind of sweets. Not that I don't like them, no, I just try to avoid them as they are addictive, lol. Great J post, Leonie.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. If you are a no-reply commenter, I will try and remember to leave my reply directly on your blog comment, otherwise I will reply via email! ♥ Note, I have had to enable comment moderation due to the number of spam comments I am currently receiving. Hopefully I can return to normal comment publishing soon :)