I don't have fireflies in my garden - which is a shame... only cats, bees, a dog and the odd dragonfly!! So please settle down with a cuppa, put your feet up and enjoy!

Saturday, April 2, 2016

The Alphabet Club - Detention for Letter "I"

"They only met online, but it changed their lives forever"
It's time for "The Alphabet Club" (TAC)


Did you notice I am on time this month.... Lets see if I can amaze you with an "I" post!

Icebergs: people who swim in winter regardless of weather and water temperature
Icky: a difficult situation or predicament; or unpleasant surroundings or environment
Icy pole, ice block: frozen popsicle, lollypop
Iffy: dodgy
It's gone walkabout: it's lost, can't be found
Idiot box: Television
In like Flynn: a person who is enthusiastic, lively or swift in deeds, actions, or dealings with others
Ironbark: extremely tough hardwood lumber
Ironman: a muscular, healthy life saver; or one who competes in triathlon events
Iron Underpants: girdles, figure controlling underwear

Iced VoVo
Today's Aussie food institution item is a biscuit that I grew up with... and I loved so much I could devour a whole packet on my own!  Today unfortunately they are bit too sweet for me... and I swear they are not quite the same as they were in the 1970's!

web image
An Iced VoVo is a wheat flour biscuit topped with a strip of pink fondant on either side of a strip of raspberry jam and sprinkled with coconut.

It's made by biscuit company Arnott’s, an Australian food institution itself and now a subsidiary of U.S.-based Campbell Soup Company. Previously known as Iced Vo-Vo biscuits, the brand was first registered in 1906.

On 24 November 2007, the Australian Prime Minister at the time, Kevin Rudd, made a light-hearted mention of Iced VoVos in his election victory speech, jokingly urging his team to have a strong cup of tea with an Iced VoVo before getting to work. This reportedly led to skyrocketing Iced VoVo sales, prompting Arnott's to send a shipping pallet of the biscuits to the Prime Minister's office in Canberra's New Parliament House.

So there you go... That's it from me for this month's Alphabet Club post... I am now going to have a strong cup of tea (the only way to drink tea!) and a Iced VoVo to celebrate it being Saturday and I managed to get to Detention on time for a change!!


Hooroo for now!  Happy Stitching!
Hugs xx



If you would like to join in the fun of "The Alphabet Club", pop over to Chiara's blog (The Grey Tail) to see what all the fun is about and link up your post for the Letter "I".  Posting is generally the first Saturday of the month.

23 comments:

  1. Yes, you are on time with your Alphabet Club post - something that I will never manage, lol. And great Australian expressions, my favorite being "Idiot box", haha, that could be used internationally.
    That sweet biscuit sounds and looks delicious, yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another "I"ntersting post! Most of your expressions this month have definitely made it to the UK, although I'd never heard of icebergs having that meaning. As for your biscuits, they look soooooo yummy!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post..iron underwear!!
    Iced VoVos look aimilar to a biscuit on sale here when elder son was little in the 80's.The jam was under trips a mallow rather than fondant, sprinkled with coconut.I was rather partial to them too.
    Totally agree..tea needs to be strong:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have only heard of a few of these. Interesting post Noni.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun new words..I should ask my aussie friend to bring me some Iced Vo Vo next time we meet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. idiot box ahaha. I guess biscuits are like the British things? Cookies? I've never figured out the difference!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very enjoyable post Noni. I often call our television the Idiot Box.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another interesting post.... Didn't know icebergs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Actually knew most of these this month - icebergs was new and so were the cookies, but they look tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very I-nformative post. Congrats too for being on time, lol. Great job:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this fun info. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's really true.... Idiot Box!!!! its to strange for words that we can watch it from mornning till evening and doing nothing, kids, adult baby all can get addicted to it..
    Perfect name

    ReplyDelete
  13. This was a great post. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post. I have tested the slang on my son once again! We liked Iron Underpants LOL
    The biscuits sound great too, they are new to me. Another item for the Aussie Food Basket giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  15. great post and love the look of those biscuits.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love to learn all those new words to me!! Thank You for visiting my blog and leaving such a sweet comment !

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's saturday (the second one!) and it's time for my aussie lesson with my private teacher. I'm not sure of the english word : tutor, preceptor (sounds like raptor or any dinosaurus) anyway it's always fun thank you. G'Day. Bisous

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Noni, great "I" words - now I have to think of something new for my "I" post, which is very, very late! Just an addition to your "in like Flynn" expression - it refers to Erroll Flynn (who starred in my "E/F" post) and his great success with the ladies! ooh la la!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. I do reply (eventually) via email. If you are a no-reply commenter, I will try and remember to leave my reply directly on your blog comment! ♥