I don't have fireflies in my garden - which is a shame... only cats, bees, a dog and the odd dragonfly!! So please settle down with a cuppa, put your feet up and enjoy!

Tuesday, March 8, 2016

The Alphabet Club - Detention for Letter "H"

"They only met online, but it changed their lives forever"
It's time for "The Alphabet Club" (TAC)


Detention is so not my thing lately.... I always was a goodie two-shoes at school so it was very rare that I had to spend any time in Detention... which is probably why yet again I am late with my Detention post!!!

This month we are looking at the letter "H".  Again this is a letter that doesn't have a lot of spectacular or typical Aussie slang words/sayings attached to it but I have found a few...

Hack it: to tolerate something or to keep up (can't hack it means to give up)
Hair of the dog: an alcoholic drink taken to relieve a hangover (I suspect this isn't a typical Aussie thing these days!)
Half your luck: an expression often indicating envy of one's goodwill can also be a congratulatory remark or best wishes blessing
Hard yacka: hard work
Hassle: to give problems, complications or aggravations
Have a yarn: have a chat with someone
He’s got tickets on himself: person who thinks he is the greatest
He played a Barry: he did shockingly badly (Barry is short for Barry Crocker and rhymes with shocker. Crocker sang the theme tune for the Australian soap Neighbours)
Homestead: main residence on a sheep or cattle station (ranch or farm)
Hoon: idiot, hooligan (generally some idiot that likes to drive way too fast or do burn outs in their cars!)
Hooroo: goodbye

So now onto food.... and we can't have the letter H with mentioning the Hamburger with the lot!!

So what is a hamburger with the lot?  Well....  it must be said upfront that I am not talking about the burgers that are sold via the Golden Arches or HJ's... I am talking about the burger with “the lot” that is only available at pubs, restaurants and take-away or fish and chip shops throughout Oz. Our version of the hamburger must include the following toppings between the bread buns to be truly a burger with the lot:

- Beef patty
- Cheese
- Onion (generally cooked but can be raw)
- Beetroot
· Pineapple slice
- Fried egg (with soft yolk)
- Bacon
- Tomato slice
- Lettuce
- Tomato sauce (or BBQ sauce... I am purest so it's tom sauce only for me!)
- Optional mayo and/or mustard

NB: the burger is traditionally eaten with thick cut hot chips (french fries)!

(Do you know how hard it was to find a picture of a traditional hamburger with the lot? There are so many gourmet versions these days but the pic below is pretty close)

Doesn't that look good enough to eat!!
Our style of burger is so much a part of our culture that the Golden Arches has a burger in Australia called the "McOz" and HJ's has one called the "Aussie Burger".  Neither taste like a real takeaway shop burger but they will do when one is desperate!! :o)

That's it from me for this month's Alphabet Club post...



Hooroo for now!  Happy Stitching!
Hugs xx



If you would like to join in the fun of "The Alphabet Club", pop over to Chiara's blog (The Grey Tail) to see what all the fun is about and link up your post for the Letter "H".  Posting is generally the first Saturday of the month.

15 comments:

  1. That's a lot of sayings! The burger looks good but don't know if I could do pineapple on a burger. I usually hate fruit on anything savory including salads lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading new slangs /sayings is so much fun.Oh I would have to skip the burger though..I'm a vegetarian :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed the vocabulary expansion again - thank you. Now I just hope I get to Australia one day and use some of them! YUMMY looking burger.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the different sayings. Thanks for sharing. To me that's way too much on a burger. I just want a thin burger with mayo, mustard, pickles, little ketchup and cheese.....maybe onion but not often.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never, ever heard of your hamburger with the lot. And a McOz, ha! HooRoo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great sayings and love the burger!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I recognise quite a few of those sayings, maybe it's your English heritage shwoing through!
    the burger looks great. We have a favourite burger restaurant called Sgt Peppers (it's Beatles themed) and I usually have the Hawaiian style which is pineapple on top or the Ringo which has prawns.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! Even though I am eating my toast and tea for breakfast - all I want is a hamburger now! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thst is some burger! Great H sayings,most I recognise now although a few years ago I would not have known:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Omg, such a big hamburger! How can you eat something so big in a normal way:-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have had everything but beet on a hamburger! That sounds so odd to me LOL. Are they pickled beets? And I like "have a yarn"; that's cute. So is hooroo!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post for H, Leonie. I particularly love the expression "He's got tickets on himself", so funny. And wow, what a burger this is, a burger withnthe lot. I'm sure I would absolutely love to try one. But he problem would be: how to eat it? Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your informative H sayings, but the thought of eating such a massive burger - not so sure! Good to know that a special Australian burger exists though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very informative. That burger is humongous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thats a litttle burger :O :) :) :)....omg how do you put it in your mouth???
    When I have a Yarn, I really hope I got a bag full of yarn.. hihi

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. I do reply (eventually) via email. If you are a no-reply commenter, I will try and remember to leave my reply directly on your blog comment! ♥