I don't have fireflies in my garden - which is a shame... only cats, bees, a dog and the odd dragonfly!! So please settle down with a cuppa, put your feet up and enjoy!

Wednesday, February 10, 2016

The Alphabet Club - Detention for Letter "G"

"They only met online, but it changed their lives forever"
It's time for "The Alphabet Club" (TAC)


I must hang my head in shame.... not only am I really late for Detention Posting... but yet again I have no update on the ABC Chats - they still look like this.....


Oh well, that what happens when life and crazy challenges get in the way!

I spent some time the other day doing some research on "G" words and you know what - there isn't an awful lot of "G" words in our slang that I can post here.... but I did find a couple!

G'day: good day; standard Australian greeting; hello
Galah: a loudmouthed idiot; someone easily duped
Goat: a fool
Grouse: something good
Gi-normous: huge (gigantic/enormous).
Grundies: undies, underwear (from Reg Grundy, a television person)
Goog: another name for a chicken egg (as in "googgie egg") but strangely we also have a saying "full as a goog" which has nothing to do with eggs!!
The “G": short for the MCG (Melbourne) - hallowed turf for AFL and cricket supporters!
Gabba: Woolongabba Cricket Ground (Brisbane)

I could not find any typically Aussie foods that begin with "G" so I thought I would leave you with a picture of a pink and grey Galah!

web image
In the wild these guys can live for 25 years... but in captivity they can live for up to 50 years!
When I was growing up we had one of these lovely birds as a pet - his name was Sport and he was given to me by an old couple because I used to go and visit him all the time!  (I am not sure why they did that - maybe they were going travelling.... I was only 5 so can't remember that far back!!)  

Anyway I digress!  Sport travelled with us from South Australia to the far flung reaches of Western Australia (Flinders to the Pilbara) and he lived to a ripe old age.  Because his previous owners had clipped his wing he couldn't fly so he didn't have to stay in his cage all the time - he would go wandering around inside the house and around the garden and would follow us kids and the dog around like a shadow.  As he got older though he got quite cantankerous and would hide by the back door and nip your ankles when you came out!

We have photos of him doing silly things like hanging off my baby sister's nappy and pulling it off her backside... and climbing inside the dog food tin to eat the jelly that stuck to the sides (his favourite thing to do!).  He also used to put his head inside the dog's mouth... goodness knows why! They were very close.... :o)

I have no idea how old he was when we got him (over 10 years old anyway) and we estimated that when he finally passed away he must have been well over 30 years (maybe older!).

So that's it for my very late "G" post..... hope you enjoyed my galah tale!

If you would like to join in the fun of "The Alphabet Club", pop over to Chiara's blog (The Grey Tail) to see what all the fun is about and link up your post for the Letter "G".  Posting is normally the first Saturday of the month.

See you next time... Happy stitching



Cheerio for now!
Hugs xx

16 comments:

  1. Great post Noni. I love the story about your bird. I miss my birds but I have way to many bad cats now to have one.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Noni. Wonderful memories of your sweet bird.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post sounds like a fun bird :). I've heard of g'day and galah but those are the only ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sport sounds a real character,I did enjoy your anecdote,It made me smile:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very interesting Noni. Sport sounds neat. And the colors on those birds are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun post. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post , there you go it start's with a G .
    A fun post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved your bird story - isn't it wonderful that we can remember our pets so well. And thanks for the additions to my Australian vocabulary. Hopefully I'll actually be able to use it someday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post and a lovely story about your bird. Funny how well we remember these things.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a nice story on Sport, in the dog's mouth! Funny:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Alain so interesting to read about your slang words. And what a lovely story about your bird. Although he couldn't fly he seemed to have had a nice life with your family and his dog friend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Always look always look forward to your detention post, Noni :) I only recognised 2 words! And gr undies had me chuckling :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely post agan!!
    Your a goat.. hihihih.. I need to rememeber that one

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm way behind on blog reading.... Lovely story about your bird.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Loved reading about Sport. Sounds like quite a character :) I'm afraid my TAC alphabet sampler is still stuck at C too so you've got company ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. If you are a no-reply commenter, I will try and remember to leave my reply directly on your blog comment, otherwise I will reply via email! ♥ Note, I have had to enable comment moderation due to the number of spam comments I am currently receiving. Hopefully I can return to normal comment publishing soon :)