I don't have fireflies in my garden - which is a shame... only cats, bees, a dog and the odd dragonfly!! So please settle down with a cuppa, put your feet up and enjoy!

Monday, January 4, 2016

The Alphabet Club - Detention for Letter "F"

"They only met online, but it changed their lives forever"
2016 is here..... and I missed Saturday's Detention!  Oops!! 
But as the old saying goes - better late than never!  So here goes, it's time for
"The Alphabet Club" (TAC)


I must hang my head in shame.... no update on the ABC Chats again this month..... so they still look the same as they did last month.... I am now 3 letters behind in my stitching on this one (ooh... 3 new starts for the January challenge!!)


So.... "F".... what did I find that we Aussies like to say beginning with "F"?

Fair dinkum: true, genuine
Fair crack of the whip: ease up; don't be too hard on someone - give them a fair go
Fair suck of the sav!: exclamation of wonder, awe, disbelief ("sav" is also slang for a savaloy - type of hot dog sausage) 
Fairy floss: candy floss, cotton candy
Flake: shark's flesh (sold in fish & chips shops)
Flake out: fall asleep, tired
Flat out like a lizard drinking / Flat chat / Flat out: extremely busy or travelling very fast
Footy: Australian Rules football
Fremantle (Freo) Doctor: the cooling afternoon breeze that arrives in Perth from the direction of Freo (we Perth-ites call the Freo Doctor our saving grace on a hot summer's day)
Freo: short for Fremantle in Western Australia (best place for coffee and fish & chips by the beach!) and the adopted home of AC/DC's Bon Scott!! (his grave and memorial statue are located in Freo)
Fruit loop: fool, silly...
Full as a goog (or boot): full of food after a big meal or drunk (boot)

Food beginning with "F"... well on this occasion I just can't go past one of my favourite lollies:
It's the tales for movie fans that make it famous.
Fantales - a favourite Australian food, the delectable bite-sized treat is made up of chewy caramel coated in milk chocolate.  It's renowned for it's yellow and blue wrapping scribed with movie trivia, a marketing move that has endeared the treat to DVD groupies and movie goers over the years.  I grew up with these... and I still love them! Yummy :o)

If you would like to join in the fun of "The Alphabet Club", pop over to Chiara's blog (The Grey Tail) to see what all the fun is about and link up your post for the Letter "F".

I will be back over the next couple of days with a January stitching update.... happy stitching



Cheerio for now!
Hugs xx

16 comments:

  1. Letter F was fun :)
    Love your ABC stitching
    Enjoy everyday and smile :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post lol I love the idea of a passed out drunk lizard. The candy sounds delicious and I love trivia :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm always looking forward to getting to know these Australian words in your Alphabet Club posts. And oh, oh, chewy caramel milk chocolate, That must be a real treat. I can really feel it in my mouth ....

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun. Those sound like my kind of treat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your Aussie words/sayings beginning with F,wouldn't mind a try of of the Fantales either:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. F-abulous post, learnt some new words too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I recognize a fair few of those expressions!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice post, Filled with info, I'd like to have some fairy floss:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. A lot of new expressions in there and the Fantales sound yummy. How can you go wrong with caramel and chocolate?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great F post, Noni and I love Fantales, too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic F post, pass the chocolates round!
    Love all the different slang words too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Footy sounds so fun :p
    Fairy floss, I like that :)
    I need to taste some of those Fantales!!! :D
    Your stitching looks so sweet =)
    hugs&smiles

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fair dinkum was about the only one I recognised there :) I love your Aussie slang explanations!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Always great Fan of your Aussie words, and amused by your food choice. Happy New Year, bonne année 2016 ! Bisous

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. If you are a no-reply commenter, I will try and remember to leave my reply directly on your blog comment, otherwise I will reply via email! ♥ Note, I have had to enable comment moderation due to the number of spam comments I am currently receiving. Hopefully I can return to normal comment publishing soon :)