I don't have fireflies in my garden - which is a shame... only cats, bees, a dog and the odd dragonfly!! So please settle down with a cuppa, put your feet up and enjoy!

Sunday, December 6, 2015

The Alphabet Club - Detention for Letter "E

"They only met online, but it changed their lives forever"
Yesterday was the first Saturday in December.... 
which means it is time to post for
"The Alphabet Club" (TAC)


Sorry but it would appear that I am late for detention this month... and I have failed in my homework over the last month as I haven't managed to start stitching on Kitty "D" or even "E".  For those of you that haven't seen the kitties so far I have managed to finish the first three in the entirety now...


When doing my research for the "E" post I discovered we actually don't have a lot of slang starting with "E", but I do have two for you.  Both are probably not just Aussie words... but we do use them alot...

Earbashing: nagging, non-stop chatter
Esky: large insulated food/drink container for picnics, barbecues etc.

So seeing as I can't give you lots of "E" words how about some strange Aussie animals starting with "E"?


Echidna - sometimes known as spiny anteaters, belong to the family Tachyglossidae in the monotreme order of egg-laying mammals. Their diet consists of ants and termites, but they are not closely related to the true anteaters of the Americas. Echidnas live in Australia and New Guinea.

Echidnas evidently evolved between 20 and 50 million years ago, descending from a platypus-like monotreme.  This ancestor was aquatic, but echidnas adapted to being terrestrial so they could live life on land.

The echidnas are named after Echidna, a creature from Greek mythology who was half-woman, half-snake, as the animal was perceived to have qualities of both mammals and reptiles.


Emu - the second-largest living bird in the world by height after its relative the ostrich. It is endemic to Australia where it is the largest native bird.

Emus are soft-feathered, brown, flightless birds with long necks and legs, and can reach up to 1.9 metres (6.2 ft) in height. Emus can travel great distances, and when necessary can sprint at 50 km/h (30 mph); they forage for a variety of plants and insects, but have been known to go for weeks without eating. They drink infrequently, but take in copious amounts of water when the opportunity arises.

While I have never seen an Echidna in the wild I have seen plenty of emus!  In the Pilbara town that I grew up in we had a very friendly emu named "Hookey" who used to come to visit us in the early 70's. One of our favourites things to do was put a biscuit on our heads and Hookey would then take the biscuit off our head ever so gently!  Unfortunately as the town grew and more people arrived dear old Hookey was taken away as the new people that came from town were frightened of him.

So that's it for the "E' post.... short and sweet!  Next month hopefully I will have an update on my ABC Chats for you to see.

If you would like to join in the fun of "The Alphabet Club", pop over to Chiara's blog (The Grey Tail) to see what all the fun is about and link up your post for the Letter "E".



Cheerio for now!
Hugs xx

12 comments:

  1. What a neat story you shared of Hookey. How sad for him to have been taken away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohh i love this story. and your hookey was a delight for you ..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very informative post. Love the Hookey story too:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How sad for hookey, a lovely story

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute post hooky sounds fun. It's too bad all the new people didn't like him. If you don't like the wild don't live there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I kept hearing about Esky in the Corrina Chapman series, thank you for clearing that up. I love emus since their oil is good for your skin too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The slang was new - additions to my vocabulary at least for reading if not for speaking. Love the Hookey story.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello my sweet friend! Look who's back to posting again ;) hehehehe Well, at least I will try, I know I won't be able to post as often but.. now and then ;) Trying to get my new rhythm :)

    I have a lot to catch up on your blog!! Need to read your alphabet posts since the beggining :p
    For now, just wishing you a happy december :D
    hugs&smiles

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ear bashing I know:) Esky I did not.I love the way aemus feathers move when they run,only seen it on tv though. A lovely memory of Hookey

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post, love the little echidna and your emu story too.
    We grew up watching Rod Hull and Emu on TV, are you aware of the duo? Maybe the newcomers to your town were!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am late commenting on your E post. Getting used to my new computer kept me from visiting blogs. That's why I use this weekend for it And I hope to catch up a little bit.

    Great to read about these Australian animals that we can only see in zoos. And on TV of course. But I read that there are also emu farms over here where they keep these animals to sell their meat. But I have never seen such a farm.
    Interesting slang words, too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a awesome less.. I really are a non-stop chatter, but nagging, is then something alse, how strange its the same.
    Love the animals.. The Emu I know, the other one not.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. If you are a no-reply commenter, I will try and remember to leave my reply directly on your blog comment, otherwise I will reply via email! ♥ Note, I have had to enable comment moderation due to the number of spam comments I am currently receiving. Hopefully I can return to normal comment publishing soon :)