I don't have fireflies in my garden - which is a shame... only cats, bees, a dog and the odd dragonfly!! So please settle down with a cuppa, put your feet up and enjoy!

Saturday, November 7, 2015

The Alphabet Club - Detention for Letter "D"

"They only met online, but it changed their lives forever"
Today is the first Saturday in November.... 
which means today is posting day for
"The Alphabet Club" (TAC)


Here we are again... another Detention Saturday!  All these monthly milestones are showing just how quickly this year is flying by.  Are you ready for some more Aussie slang words and phrases?  As usual there are probably some which you know from other countries but hopefully there are some new ones in the list below that will make you smile.. ;o)

So here we go..... the letter "D":
Dag: a funny person, nerd, goof
Daks: trousers
Darwin stubby: 2 litre bottle of beer
Dead horse: Tomato sauce
Deadly treadly: a bicycle (push-bike)
Deadset: true, the truth
Dero: tramp, hobo, homeless person (from "derelict")
Digger: an Aussie soldier
Dill: an idiot
Dinkum or fair dinkum: true, real, genuine ("I'm a dinkum Aussie"; "is he fair dinkum?")
Dinky-di: the real thing, genuine
Do your lolly (mellon; nana; loaf): to get very angry
Don't get your knickers in a knot (or a twist): Don't get so upset about things (or something)
Doovalacky: used whenever you can't remember what something is called (we have other words for this problem as well - more on them another day!)
Down Under: Australia and New Zealand
Drongo: a dope, stupid person
Dummy, spit the: get very upset at something
Dunny: outside toilet

Australian Damper: Damper is traditionally a simple Australian unleavened bread baked in the hot coals of a camp fire. (The modern recipe below is not unleavened because it uses self-raising flour.)  The traditional way to cook damper was to wrap the dough around a stick and it was then cooked over the ashes or put into an iron pot and buried in the hot coals.  You could then put jam or something into the hole once it's cooked.  It is generally believed that the bread is called Damper because the fire is damped to allow the bread to be cooked over the ash covered hot coals, and as the recipe was passed on the drovers used to always remind people to dampen the fire to cook it...


Recipe: Modern version to bake in the oven or try while camping
Ingredients
450 grams (3 cups) flour, self-raising
¼ teaspoon salt
180 ml (6 fl oz) milk - if the mixture is too dry, add a little more milk
1 teaspoon sugar, caster (sugar, granulated)
80 grams (1/3 cup) butter, chilled
 extra flour as needed

Method
1. Mix the flour, salt and sugar together into a bowl.
2. Rub the butter into the flour with your fingertips until it looks like fine breadcrumbs.
3. Add milk slowly and mix to form a soft dough.
4. Knead lightly on a floured board until smooth. Shape into a round loaf, brush with milk and cut a cross in the top surface of the dough.
For oven cooking
5. Grease and dust with flour a round cake tin. You can substitute a flat baking pan, but the round tin gives a better shape to the loaf.
6. Place dough in the pan and bake in a preheated oven at 190° C (375° F) for 30 - 40 minutes.
For camp fire cooking
5. Grease the camp oven (Dutch oven) and dust with flour. Add bread dough and cover.
6. Place in your camp fire, cover with hot ashes and coals and bake for about 30 minutes.

Note: to test if it's done, tap on the loaf and it should sound hollow. Cut into moderately thick slices and serve while still warm. Top with butter, golden syrup, or your favourite jam.

Variations: You can add a variety of ingredients to Damper for a different flavour. For example, add desiccated coconut, cinnamon, sultanas and extra sugar for a sweeter Damper.

So that's it for the "D" words..... now it's onto my TAC stitching (or lack there of!!)

Last month on my TAC post  I showed you where I was at with my "B" Kitty, and then a few days later I showed you a pic of a bit more progress.... well, I am sorry to say not much more has been done on the Kitties until this week when I finally managed to start on the "C" Kitty.  This is what my afghan currently looks like:

"ABC" Chats - Les Brodeuses Parisiennes
as at 7 Nov 2015
I just adore these kitties and I really should spend more time on them.... but as is the case with most stitchers I have too many things on the go at once and not enough hours in the day.... and then I keep finding more designs that I just have to start stitching... a never ending spiral!!

If you would like to join in the fun of "The Alphabet Club", pop over to Chiara's blog (The Grey Tail) to see what all the fun is about and link up your post for the Letter "D".

I think I have bored you all enough for now... so I will sign off and come back again tomorrow with a bit of a stitching update on what else I have been stitching over the last week or so.


Cheerio for now!
Hugs xx



18 comments:

  1. ooooooo.......I knew 2 of your phrases :D Knickers in a knot is a fairly common one used here as well......and dinkum...while not used here....I've heard it used often enough by an Aussie mate of mine :) The rest was......Greek :D :D
    That damper bread looks yummmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the little cat stitch so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I just can't figure out Dead Horse for tomato sauce Noni!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew a couple of your words/phrases, but the rest were all new. And that recipe sounds tasty - and simple. May try that. Love the kitties.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another great alphabet club post Noni.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great alphabet post as always.I will have to try the damper bread recipe:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another great alphabet club post. By the way its first Saturday of November not October

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops.... sure I changed that the other day.... thank you for pointing it out! All updated now :o)

      Delete
  8. Great post! I've just tested my son to see how many he could guess! By coincidence we've been reading The Lost Continent by Terry Pratchett. It's "loosely" based on Australia or EcksEcksEcksEcks as they call it (4X)
    I am not attending an Aussie accent.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I knew 5 this time so hopefully I'll escape detention and pass the grade.
    Looking forward to seeing kitty C come to life.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post, so many new words to me. Lovely stitching:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. never boring Leonie! love all your aussie words

    ReplyDelete
  12. All the Aussie words were new to me -i so love to get know other peoples cultures-thank you for this educational post :) Little Kittyes in ABC are all super cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the info and recipe, very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Woah! So many new phrases. You guys have a language all your own ;)

    Your kitties are adorable. Can't wait to see them come to life :)

    P.S. Will never look at tomato sauce the same way again :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dead horse: Tomato sauce??????
    I cant see this one.. lol!!!
    So great to read it all

    ReplyDelete
  16. As usual I'm late reading some of these D posts for the Alphabet Club. But I see that you were having as much fun copiling your post as I had with mine. I only knew one of the Australian words - Down Under. I have read it often in books etc but all the others were unknown to me. And thanks for the Damper recipe. One day I'll try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  17. ... of course it should read "compiling" ...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. If you are a no-reply commenter, I will try and remember to leave my reply directly on your blog comment, otherwise I will reply via email! ♥ Note, I have had to enable comment moderation due to the number of spam comments I am currently receiving. Hopefully I can return to normal comment publishing soon :)