I don't have fireflies in my garden - which is a shame... only cats, bees, a dog and the odd dragonfly!! So please settle down with a cuppa, put your feet up and enjoy!

Saturday, October 3, 2015

The Alphabet Club - Detention for Letter "C"

"They only met online, but it changed their lives forever"
Today is the first Saturday in October.... 
which means today is posting day for
"The Alphabet Club" (TAC)


Hello Cobber!  Are you ready to get cracking on the letter "C"?  Here's some words that may or may not be unique to us Aussies, but we certainly use them quite a bit in our every day conversation!

Cactus: useless, broken
Cackle Berries: a chicken egg. (ie "Mum, I'd like two cackle berries for brekkie, please.")
Chuck a wobbly: go berserk
Chuck a sickie: take the day off sick from work when you're perfectly healthy
Clicks: kilometres (ie 10 clicks / 10 kms)
Cobber: a mate or a friend
Come a cropper: to fall heavily
Cot case: a drunk or exhausted person only fit for bed
Cracking: excellent / get cracking - start something
Crow Eater: a fun name for a person from South Australia (that's me, sort of... I was born a Crow Eater... later on in the series of letters I will tell you what I am now!)

And if that wasn't enough for you, how about some of these pretty unique sayings:

Couldn't fight his way out of a wet paper bag
Couldn't peel skin off a custard (I love this one.... most of the time it gets applied to someone's car when it doesn't really have a lot of power and gets left behind at the traffic lights!)

So now I have to talk about Aussie food.... and sorry but there really is only one food that is worth mentioning on an Aussie "C" Day and that is the Chiko Roll!!

Web image
This Australian food icon was inspired by Chinese spring rolls.  The deep-fried snack contains beef (despite its name, there’s no chicken), celery, cabbage, barley, carrot, onion, green beans and spices (and probably things we don't want to know about!!) in a battered tube.  Chiko rolls are generally eaten on the go and served at local fish 'n' chip shops or by snack vendors at train stations.  Besides the meat pie or sausage roll they are probably an Aussie's favourite footy food!!

I love Chiko Rolls...... but then again I am a child of the late 60's and 70's!!

Ok... so that's the Aussie part of the post over and done with...

So how about an update on my chosen piece that I am stitching for this monthly blog post... "ABC Chats" from Les Brodeuses Parisiennes.

I was hoping to have finished "B" before posting... but that didn't happen!  I have managed to stitch on "B" for the last couple of nights including last night (which was a Friday Frolics night)...

So the last time I showed you "B" it looked like this:


and now after last night it looks like this:


Kitty is now beginning to finally take shape...  I am going to keep stitching on this now for the weekend as I would like to get started on "C" before my next TAC post!!!

Well, that's it for today's Detention post... If you would like to join in the fun of "The Alphabet Club", pop over to Chiara's blog (The Grey Tail) to see what all the fun is about and link up your for post for the Letter "C".

See you next month when it will be Detention for the Letter "D".



Cheerio from me....
Hugs xx

11 comments:

  1. Love your post, very interested to learn about Aussies specific words! Ready to use clicks than km and chuck a sickie next thursday when I should be back to work. Great fun to read you. Hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another fun post Noni! I have heard"Couldn't fight his way out of a wet paper bag." before. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another fun post to read Noni. I am really enjoying learning about your Aussie words. What does crikey mean?

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love visiting your blog for the TAC posts. You have always select words which make me giggle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I had such a chuckle at some of your Aussie terms Noni!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Trivia-filled post! Thanks for sharing:) Lovely stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your posts..... we say a few of those over here in the UK. Also, 'about as good as a chocolate teapot' for those who are rubbish lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post! You have a few of those words in common with us. The Chiko roll looks ..... Interesting! Very much football food or drunk night food. Like kebabs, has anyone ever eaten one of those when sober?
    I say crikey and blimey a lot, because I don't swear and have to say something!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Missed this one!!! Great post ..love the sayings,some I use, never heard of cackle berries what a great description.I love the custard one too,that one describes someone lacking strength in our house..like me trying to open a jar of something!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So interesting to read. I knew the word Cobber, I think I must have read it soemwhere on the internet before, but all the others were new to me. What is just as interesting for me is to get to know sweets and snacks from other countries, like your Chiko Rolls. It's always a pity when I can't just try these things out without going to the respective country first, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really love these posts!!
    So fun to learn it all.
    Mmmm that looks and sounds very yummy!
    Happy Stitching

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. I do reply (eventually) via email. If you are a no-reply commenter, I will try and remember to leave my reply directly on your blog comment! ♥