I don't have fireflies in my garden - which is a shame... only cats, bees, a dog and the odd dragonfly!! So please settle down with a cuppa, put your feet up and enjoy!

Saturday, August 1, 2015

The Alphabet Club - Detention for Letter "A"

"They only met online, but it changed their lives forever"
Today is Saturday 1st August (and the first Saturday of the month).... 
which means today is posting day for
"The Alphabet Club" (TAC)


Over the coming 26 months (oh my goodness.... that is a long time isn't it?), I will try and introduce you to some typically Aussie words and sayings (commonly called strine or slang), and who knows there may even be some stitching to show!

So pull up a pew, grab a cuppa and an Anzac biccie, take the weight off for awhile and have a squizz at my post all about the letter "A" :o)

So where do I start... well, let's start with the obvious "A" - Aussie (pron. Ozzie)Australian!  Yep, that's me - one good old fashioned Aussie Sheila writing about some great Australiana!

Let's try these ones on for size.....

Ace!: Excellent! Very good!
Aerial pingpong: Australian Rules football
Amber fluid/nectar: beer
Ankle biter: small child
Arvo: afternoon
Aussie salute: brushing away flies with the hand

One of my favourite sayings is "Act your age not your shoe size".....  and then of course there is always the saying "Away with the pixies" which as a young 'un would have described me - I was often away in my own world snuggled up with a book and tuning out everything and everyone around me! Nothing's changed actually, I still do it now....

Probably one of the best known Aussie acronyms would be ANZAC.  The acronym ANZAC was coined in 1915 when Australian and New Zealand troops were training in Egypt. The word ANZAC was eventually applied to all Australian and New Zealand soldiers in World War 1. The term is particularly associated with the landing at Gallipoli on 25 April 1915.  The ANZAC biscuit came about as a way to send food to the soldiers that wouldn't spoil before it arrived at its destination.  The recipe for the Soldier's Biscuits was based on a Scottish recipe (or so I believe) and was dubbed the ANZAC biscuit after the landing at Gallipoli.  The biscuits would be sent in a tin, often the "Billy Tea" tin, to keep them fresh.

For those that might be interested I have added a recipe for the scrummy ANZAC biscuit below:
ANZAC Biscuits
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup plain flour
1 cup sugar
3/4 (three-quarters) cup coconut
125g (4 oz) butter
2 tablespoons golden syrup
½ (half) teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 tablespoon boiling water
Combine oats, sifted flour, sugar and coconut.
Combine butter and golden syrup, stir over gentle heat until melted.
Mix soda with boiling water, add to melted butter mixture, stir into dry ingredients.
Take teaspoonfuls of mixture and place on lightly greased oven trays; allow room for spreading.
Cook in slow oven (150°C or 300°F) for 20 minutes.
Loosen while still warm, then cool on trays.
Makes about 35.

I had planned to try and stitch a Letter "A" for this first post... but as usual the best laid plans of mice and men, and me just didn't come off!  So instead of getting an "A" for this post I probably deserve an "F"!

If you would like to join in the fun of "The Alphabet Club", pop over to Chiara's blog (The Grey Tail) to see what all the fun is about and link up your for post for the Letter "A".

See you next next month when it will be Detention for the Letter "B".



Hoo roo from me....
Hugs xx

19 comments:

  1. What a great first post! So packed with tidbits that were new to me. You had me chuckling at the Aussie salute :D And a recipe too! You totally deserve an A for this post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you :) I have just been over and read your post... Love it :) can't wait to read more about the UAE And that quilt!!
      Hugs xx

      Delete
  2. oh, dear.. I can't help but say Aussie with the SS, not the ZZ.. 😬
    thanks for telling us about ANZAC, and a recipe too! ace! 😉 love the words and the sayings too! ❤️
    the only one getting a poor grade will be me, really - late for my own thing! typical!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)
      Can't guarantee I will be on time next month... Looking forward to seeing what everyone posts about :)
      Hugs xx

      Delete
  3. Great post Noni.I did not realise how many of these Aussie slang words I knew...a squizz i even used as a kid in the1960's,the rest..well a certain Aussie soap called Neighbours which landed on our shores in 1986 introduced us Poms to your slang and some of it has stuck here in the uk:) uni being the one that springs to mind:) An advert for 'the amber nectar' runs from time to time, too..great ads very witty.
    Really looking forward to the next Alphabet letter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post Noni. A few of these I knew. Most I did not.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post with some quirky slangs. I came to know about Anzac and Gallipoli after watching the movie Water Diviner. Thank you for the biscuit recipe...I may try baking these one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Water Diviner was a great movie - good to hear that you enjoyed it :o)
      hugs xx

      Delete
  6. I agree with Lesley, Neighbours and Prisoner Cell Block H have got a lot to answer for!
    Great post and lovely biscuits too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really enjoyed this post. And thank you for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is very informative, love reading all these tidbits. Looking forward to your next letter. Ace!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ankle biter is definitely used in America too. As is "act your age not your shoe size." I would love to know how arvo came to mean afternoon. And why it would need to be abbreviated!

    ReplyDelete
  10. GreAt post for this first Alphabet Club, glAd to visit you. Amitiés !

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very neat post! Loved learning all about your A words. Both my girls are often "away with the pixies"!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love an Anzac biscuit, yummy .... great post.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fun and diffeent post 1 I liked it a lot !! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such an interesting post. Of course, I didn't know any of these Aussie words. And of course, you deserve an A+ for the post, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG what a great post. It;s totally on the other side of the world foe me, A niece of mine lives and works there now.
    It's really great to learn on your blog about Aussie.
    From the moment I was little I loved the movie Blinkie Bill, you know it??
    I love the animals there.
    Please show and let us learn more!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. If you are a no-reply commenter, I will try and remember to leave my reply directly on your blog comment, otherwise I will reply via email! ♥ Note, I have had to enable comment moderation due to the number of spam comments I am currently receiving. Hopefully I can return to normal comment publishing soon :)