I don't have fireflies in my garden - which is a shame... only cats, bees, a dog and the odd dragonfly!! So please settle down with a cuppa, put your feet up and enjoy!

Sunday, February 23, 2014

Secret Stitching Revealed

Chains do not hold a marriage together.
It is threads, hundreds of tiny threads which sew people together through the years
~ Simone Signoret ~


Happy 50th Wedding Anniversary Mum & Dad

After many hints on previous posts about the secret stitching that I was doing, I can finally show you what I stitched for my Mum and Dad's 50th Wedding Anniversary.

50 years of marriage is quite a significant milestone and I wanted to find something nice to stitch for them to mark this milestone.  I looked at many designs, rejected more than I put in the stitching pile but I still wasn't happy with the designs I had found!  You know how it is sometimes when you just can't find the exact design that you want to stitch...  To be honest I don't think I really knew what I wanted to stitch.... but I did know that I wanted something simple but exquisite - something meaningful.... 

And then all of a sudden I found it!  A Joan Elliott Sampler from The World of Cross Stitching Magazine (issue 129).  In the magazine it was stitched for a 25th Anniversary, but as the design included an alphabet and numbers it was very easy to adjust it to suit a 50th Anniversary.

So without further ado.... I present the 50th Wedding Anniversary Sampler I stitched as a gift for my parents to celebrate their marriage milestone.....

"Anniversary Sampler" designed by Joan Elliott
World of Cross Stitching, issue 129



In the original design there was a stitched heart above the swans heads, however I decided that I would add a beautiful Swarovski crystal heart instead.

The fabric that I used to make the wall hanging is a Robert Kaufman fabric - The Culture Club "A Passage to India".  The colours in this fabric are just beautiful - such a bright mix of blues and golds and purples.  All the colours in that were in the sampler.

Happy 50th Wedding Anniversary Mum and Dad - may you have many more to celebrate! xx

On that note, I will say goodbye....  as it is IHSW this weekend, I am now going back to park my butt on the couch with my stitching and start watching Hercule Poirot in the hope that I will have something to show you after the weekend.



Til next time, happy stitching!
Stitching Noni xx



18 comments:

  1. Oh...that is so pretty! Huge congratulations to your mum and dad on 50 years of marriage! What an achievement!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Magnificent!! What a fantastic gift!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful gift for your parents. Excellent choice on the fabric Noni. Congratulations to your parents!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fantastic gift to give to your parents something memorable they will always remember x

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have made a lovely gift for your parents!! Convey my regards and wishes to them:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a lovely present--they will certainly treasure it! Congratulations to them on 50 wonderful years of marriage :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. congratz!!!
    What a wonderfull and beautifull gift you made!!
    Really awesome!!! The most be so happy with it!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratz, beautiful cross stitch present

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations to your parents! Great present. It looks stunning:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Many congratulations to your mum and dad.What a lovely piece of stitching to celebrate 50 years of marriage.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh that is just absolutely beautiful! And you're right...50 years is an achievement and deserves something as special as this :) Well done Noni...and a special congratulations to your wonderful parents....they must be so proud of this piece!

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a beautiful quotation from that great (maybe one of the best if not the best ) French actress =)
    it's as if I could ear her saying this
    you made a fantastic piece for your parents Noni !!!!
    superb !
    Mum would have cried receiving such a gift :)
    perfect in all points , especially the Swarovski crystal , it so looks like a diamond. (I have many jewels from that famous swan brand hubby offered me :) I love...)
    very very great job !
    Andrew....it's my second name, yes a man's name hehehe, I'll have to told you that mini story a day =D
    Big big hugs
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. ohhh this is soooo beautiful!! I'm sure your parents just loved it!! Its so meaningfull!! Very well done!!
    And congratultions to your parents...50 years of marriage!!! that's not easy at all!! Just wonderful!:)
    kisses&hugs***

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ohhh beautiful! Beautiful gift!!! :))))) Congratulations to your parents too! :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is beautiful! My parents will be celebrating their 50th Anniversary in a year or two. I really must choose a nice design for them. Joan's are definitely on the short list! Your parents must be so pleased with this present.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. If you are a no-reply commenter, I will try and remember to leave my reply directly on your blog comment, otherwise I will reply via email! ♥ Note, I have had to enable comment moderation due to the number of spam comments I am currently receiving. Hopefully I can return to normal comment publishing soon :)