I don't have fireflies in my garden - which is a shame... only cats, bees, a dog and the odd dragonfly!! So please settle down with a cuppa, put your feet up and enjoy!

Sunday, June 16, 2013

Mitzi's Baking Day

Mitzi's baking! Can you believe it? No, you're quite right.. It wasn't Mitzi baking at all, it was me baking for Mitzi... Which is probably even more surprising than my dog baking!

So why was I baking for Mitzi? Well, when Mitzi was 6 months old we found out that she has either a wheat or a beef intolerance, or both! So her diet had to change and since then we have been on the look out for wheat-free and/or beef-free snacks. We found a great source of snacks for her when we went to the Million Paws Walk - Waggy Dog Bakehouse. We have done one order of snack biscuits from them so far and will be ordering from them again, but in the meantime we thought we would also see if we can make some for her.

So after lots of snooping around the interweb, we found a couple of different recipes that looked easy and tasty. So today I decide to test one of them out - pumpkin cookies.

They were so easy to make. The recipe actually calls for canned pumpkin but as we don't have that here in Australia I used good ole' fresh butternut squash and mashed it with a small amount of butter into a nice purée. And guess what, I think it worked!! What do you think? The recipe also asked for dried milk powder.. which I didn't have in the cupboard... so I added a teaspoon of honey to sweeten the recipe slightly.

Thumbs up from Mitzi!

And look how many the recipe made - about 50 biscuits. We have stars, hearts and a couple of bells. I don't have a bone shaped cookie cutter but I know there must be one out there somewhere.

Such an easy bake... And obviously a hit with Mitzi!

See you all again real soon!

Hugs

12 comments:

  1. She is so sweet. I think our little April is part her breed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a sweet pup! I'd love that recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look awesome! And yes, bone cookie cutters exist. I bought one a long time ago to make dog biscuits for my sister's dog - never quite happened but maybe one day, right? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. She looks very happy with her bicky stash!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello

    Mitzy is gorgeous and the biscuits are a great idea for her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, you are so clever! But don't get like those people I saw on a TV show once who cooked their dogs the best cuts of meat and ate really poor, cheap food themselves! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  7. maybe Mitzi is a vegetarian =)
    she is so adorable
    and when we look at the recipe...we truly understand why she loves your biscuits !!! =D
    great idea
    big hugs to you both
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mitzi is adorable and those biscuits look great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sweet! You baked for your little girl :D
    I bet is was delicious.. for her :p heheheeh
    hummm.. no sure about the honey =/ I know we shouldn't give any sugar to dogs, it's really bad for their eyesight.. maybe just a teaspoon isn't bad.. but get some info on that, if you decide to bake more often ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The doggie treats look yummy! I have a dog bone cookie cutter and bought all the ingredients to bake dog cookies for my dogs too, but never got around to it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. If you are a no-reply commenter, I will try and remember to leave my reply directly on your blog comment, otherwise I will reply via email! ♥ Note, I have had to enable comment moderation due to the number of spam comments I am currently receiving. Hopefully I can return to normal comment publishing soon :)