I don't have fireflies in my garden - which is a shame... only cats, bees, a dog and the odd dragonfly!! So please settle down with a cuppa, put your feet up and enjoy!

Saturday, April 27, 2013

Latest Mandala & IHSW Stitching Update

Hello!  How is everyone this fine Saturday?  Actually, fine is not the word around here today... dark, grey, a little bit wet and a little bit wintery... yes, winter is coming!  Finally...  The sun was out earlier this morning but now the cloud and rain has arrived, and with the cloud and rain the temperature has dropped!  But that's ok, gives me an excuse to get out the trackie daks and a long sleeved top and snuggle down and do some stitching!

So what's been going on around here lately... not a lot stitching unfortunately! The week just gone was a short working week for Hubby and I - only 3 days.  But oh my goodness, those 3 days were so busy for me.  Most days I didn't know if I was Arthur or Martha but by the time I finally left on Wednesday night I did feel a bit happier about the paper-shuffle that has been going on on my desk....  Being knackered each night after work meant no energy for stitching unfortunately!

So why was it a short week... well, Thursday was a public holiday all around Australia for ANZAC day and Friday is my normal day off... so there it was a 4 day weekend on the horizon and lots of stitching to be getting on with.  Luckily hubby's office decided to close on Friday so he has also had a 4 day weekend.  Bliss....  ANZAC day is a very special day here in Australia, and it is a day to take time out for reflection on the bravery of our soldiers over the years and those that are serving today.  It is also my sister's birthday!

With 4 days off I had planned to do lots of stitching - but so far not a stitch has been entered in any of my WIP's.  Thursday was one of those days where I just couldn't decide what I wanted to do and I ended up starting on a bit of a tidy up in my part of the craft room.  Well, that didn't last long.... I sort of got stuck on going through my magazines and sorting out of the charts that I had previously saved from the other magazines.  I now have all my Margaret Sherry and Joan Elliott designs in their own folder.  This is something that I have been planning on doing for ages.... so it feels good to have finally got that job done.  But as for all the other charts... well, they are all sitting in a pile in the cupboard waiting to get sorted.  Might be one of those rainy day jobs.....

Yesterday was a day out... we decided to take a trip up to IKEA to have a wander about as we wanted to get some more boxes for my craft stuff and also to look at some other bits and pieces that we want to use in the craft room for storage.  Just as well we went... hubby won one of the vouchers that they were giving away.... the voucher pretty much covered all the new storage boxes we bought!!  Bonus :o)

And now we come today...  still no stitching done...  but the plan is to finish this post and then snuggle up with Mitzi and start stitching.  I have a couple of pixie parcels to do this weekend and I thought I would try and stitch a couple of small cards to send, and then it is onto my Mandala.

Last weekend was IHSW and I did manage to get some stitching in.  Stupidly I forgot to take a photo on Friday of my Mandala before the weekend started, but never mind it's more important to show you where I finished the weekend, than where I started!!

WIP Photo "Mini Mandala II - A" Chatelaine
27 April 2013

Close up of centre section

Close up of bottom section
Isn't it amazing how the colours have started to come out now that the centre is stitched?  I don't normally stitch with variegated threads, but seeing how pretty they look when used like this I think I will be very happy to use them again.

Now all I need to do is finish off the last of the beading and then this mandala is done and I can move onto the next one.

I have to put my hand up here and admit that I made a tiny mistake the other day.... the Rhodes stitches in the small part of the border where all going the wrong way... I didn't realise this until I went to do the beading although I must admit I did think it was strange that the Rhodes covered up the cross stitch when I was first stitching them...  So a frogging I went and a re-stitching of the Rhodes and we were back on track again!

Well that's it for this quick update.  It's time to now put the laptop away and take out the needles and start up the stitching mojo!

Til next time, happy stitching everyone
Hugs xx



9 comments:

  1. Sweet stitching ...
    Enjoy the weekend
    Big hugs cucki x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know the weather is getting bad over there =/ but it was about time for winter to cross the globe, it was here for too long!! Hope it won't be as cold as it was for us in europe!!

    Another pretty mandala :) love the bottom detail, those little flowers look so cute!
    Have a fun stitching weekend!! Hugs&smiles

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your piece is absolutely stunning! Love the colours - so rich!
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely Mandala,such beautiful colours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on your Ikea score, and on starting to organize all your charts! I need to do that too, someday, LOL! Your Mandala is lovely, the colours (especially the coral, black and deep gold) remind me of antique Japanese lacquer boxes (like this one), so beautiful and striking :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Noni! Your mandala is stunning!! Which one is it? I think I want to stitch this one ASAP!! I hear you about being knackered after work. Not much time for stitching at all for the both of us :( I love short work weeks although they fly by so quickly.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a good weekend anyway and your mandala is absolutely awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. what an amazing piece sweetie !
    incredible
    the very middle looks like an oriental rug =)
    very well done
    I'm happy winter finally decided to go to the other side of the globe =D
    It's still a bit cold sometimes but we have sun
    in the East they even had snow yesterday :-/
    I can't wait to see what you're stitching =)
    and congrats for your winning at Ikea !!!
    big big hugs
    xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. I do reply (eventually) via email. If you are a no-reply commenter, I will try and remember to leave my reply directly on your blog comment! ♥