I don't have fireflies in my garden - which is a shame... only cats, bees, a dog and the odd dragonfly!! So please settle down with a cuppa, put your feet up and enjoy!

Sunday, May 27, 2012

Daisy

Daisy
July 2004 - May 2012
I write this post with a very heavy heart.  This is a post that I didn't think I would be writing for a few more years yet, but as often happens Life deals us a dud hand sometimes, and this weekend Life has dealt us an extremely bad hand.

In the early hours of yesterday morning (Saturday 26 May 2012) we sat with our Daisy dog as she went to sleep for the last time.

For some unknown reason Daisy developed bloat during the early of hours of Saturday morning and even though we rushed her to the emergency veterinary hospital, time was running out and we had to make the hard decision which ultimately ended her time with us.

I keep asking myself - what did we do wrong?  Why did this have to happen?  I know there is no answer to those questions but it doesn't stop me asking them??

Daisy was with us from September 2004 when we got her as a puppy at 10 weeks old.  At the time she was a funny little black ball of fluff, but she soon grew, her ears straightened, her coat changed colour and she turned into this beautiful black and tan long haired German Shepherd and became our most treasured companion.  Daisy has been a big part of our life together. We have been together for nearly 10 years and Daisy has been with us for 8 of those years.

I have been thinking of what to write in this post all day... but I find when it comes time to put pen to paper (so to speak) I don't know what to say.  How do I describe the wonder of this gorgeous dog to you all?  She was loving, playful, cheeky, smart, a pain in the butt when she barked for no reason at all, and more!  She was always there when we came home, always happy to see us, bouncing around in circles, wagging her tail - so excited that we were home.  Coming home will not be the same now - the boys will still be there purring and happy to see us, but our bouncing puppy will not be waiting at the gate or the front door!

We have some lovely memories of Daisy.  Going through the photos on the laptop earlier bought back so many special memories as well as more tears.  Walking around the house over the last 2 days has bought many tears - seeing her beds and the places she used to sit, hearing other dogs bark in the neighbourhood and waiting for her to bark back, walking outside the front door and seeing the tree that she always had to go and sniff every time she went out the front; even having breakfast and leaving the toast crusts for her.... little things that are so Daisy.

Mark used to laugh at me with all the names that I used to call her - Dinky, Mouse, Daisy Dog, Princess Daisy.... Don't ask me why, I just did!!  She wagged her tail and answered each and every time!!

Daisy and Hubby - 2005
She was frightened of thunderstorms & would often end up on our bed in the middle of the night if there was a bad storm raging outside.  She would sit out in the rain and get absolutely soaked and she loved playing with sprinklers, but she didn't like getting a bath!!  And boy, she did so dislike getting her tail and back legs brushed!!  She could handle being brushed for a short time, but after awhile enough was enough and it was time to go and play again!!
Daisy & Adam (my nephew) - 2006
Boy, dog and sprinklers
Daisy & Adam - 2006
Boy, dog and sprinklers
Not having Daisy in our lives has left a huge hole - a hole that seems to be insurmountable at this time, but I know that the hole will eventually heal and cover over but at the moment that time and place seems a very long way away.

We will be getting her cremated and she will come home to us again and will sit on the sideboard with the ashes of Winston and Sasha.  So every morning I will still be able to say good morning to her and pretend that she can hear me.....
Daisy - January 2012
We miss you Daisy, and will do for a very long time to come.  Thank you for all the love and laughter you have given us over the years.  You were taken from us way too soon.

Today's post was going to originally be a post about the Craft Show and to wish my wonderful husband a Happy Birthday.... but unfortunately the events of yesterday morning changed my plans.  We did go to the Craft Show yesterday to try and take our minds off our sadness and emptiness, but I will leave that for another post.

Happy Birthday Sweetheart.  I wish that today's birthday had been a happier one for you with all the joys that a birthday should bring....

So how to end this sad post... I really don't know how to end my post except to say Goodbye Daisy - we love you and miss you.  Sweet Dreams my dear sweet Dinky Dog, one day we will meet you again on the Rainbow Bridge.







21 comments:

  1. Dear Noni,

    I'm,so sorry to hear about your loss. Given her age, it's obvious you didn't expect to have to say goodbye to her so soon. Your post tells all about how much you loved daisy and what a wonderful dog she was. Alltough, it doesn't help much, I'll be thinking of you and send warm and comforting thoughts your way. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry for your loss! Your post brought me to tears!

    Hugs and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. :(

    Daisy is not alone on the Raibow Bridge, she is together with my doggy Pusha.

    hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry for the loss of your beautiful Daisy

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry to hear about Daisy. You must be devastated. Like Terri your post brought me to tears too. You and your family will be in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so very sorry for your loss. She sounds like an amazing dog. Losing anyone that is an integral part of your family is never easy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry for your loss! {{{hugs}}}

    ReplyDelete
  8. sending HUGE HUGS for you both .... she sounded a wonderful pooch and glad you are bringing her home too ... I have my furbabies ashes at the side of me too and talk to them :) love mouse xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am SO SORRY for your loss. I hate this for you and it brings to mind how short out time is here..for us and our pets. Prayers for peace. It's okay to cry and it's okay not to. Just breathe through each moment. Smile when you can and when you can't, let yourself feel it. HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so sorry for your loss. She sounded like a gorgeous dog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so sorry for your loss. :( The photos show a gorgeous loving girl and it shines through in your post too. It must have been such an awful shock as our furry family members are a huge part of our lives - I will be thinking of you and your family and thinking about your beautiful girl. I lost my German shepherd two years ago and they really are special dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ho my sweet friend, I'm so sorry to read this bad news =(
    So sad for you
    I had tears in my eyes too reading your post
    Pets are sometimes so amazing, and they take a big part in our lives, they give so much without asking anything in return.I can understand how you feel :(
    Can't do anything else than saying you that I share your pain and send you as many huge hugs are they are miles between us
    love
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so sorry to read your sad news. Daisy was a beautiful dog and it sounds like she was full of personality. I'm sure she leaves a very big void in your lives. Sending hugs your way.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so sorry Noni.
    I only know the pain we felt when our precious Bonnie left us. Each of us feel individual pain and our memories are all personal. I hope that it won't take too long for you to be able to think of Daisy without the accompanying sadness, she obviously had a very happy life with you and your husband x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your post brought tears to my eyes. I'm so very sorry for your loss. It was wonderful of you to share some of your memories with us and I hope it has helped you a little bit, too. It's always a very sad time when a family member has to leave this world and she was obviously very much a member of your family. Sending many hugs your way.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Noni, I'm so sorry to hear of Daisy passing away. She was a beautiful doggie and I can understand the emotions you are going through after going through those myself late last year. She will always be in your hearts. Big hugs to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Noni, I am so sorry to read this news. Your Daisy was a beautiful dog and I can tell she was a great part of your lives from your touching post. May you find comfort in your memories.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awww... I'm so sorry for your loss. I totally feel your pain thru this post. (((Hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh Noni, I am so sorry to hear about Daisy's passing. It is so hard when a beloved pet leaves us. We just need to be thankful for the great times that we have with them. Take care of yourself and DH. Sending you lots of kitten hugs, Kaye

    ReplyDelete
  20. ohhh my sweet friend.. so sorry to hear this =(
    I hope knowing how happy Daisy was for all the years she had at your home, will warm your heart and give you some comfort... hugs to you my friend ♥

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm catching up on blogs right now, read this, and teared up. I'm so so sorry for your loss and hope that things are already looking up for you as I type this. She will never be replaced, but she will always be remembered. Hugs to you, Noni.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. I do reply (eventually) via email. If you are a no-reply commenter, I will try and remember to leave my reply directly on your blog comment! ♥