I don't have fireflies in my garden - which is a shame... only cats, bees, a dog and the odd dragonfly!! So please settle down with a cuppa, put your feet up and enjoy!

Monday, April 23, 2012

IHSW April 2012 Update

Hello again!  Amazingly I actually have something to show for my IHSW update this month!

As I mentioned in my last post I started a new project on Friday.  This is a bit of break with what I have recently been stitching.  For the last year or so I have stitched cards and quilt squares with the odd pillow thrown in the mix, but generally all the designs have been cute, cats, or cute cats, or kids designs...

Now for something a bit different to the norm - dare I say a bit more grown up!!

Since I have started blog stalking I have been drooling over all of the beautiful designs that other very talented people stitch, especially those that stitch the Chatelaines.  These designs seem to sing to me when I see them and I have so often thought "one day".  I even went so far as to buy 2 mini's last year at the Craft Show, but still haven't got the courage up to start one....  What if I stuff it up - another UFO I do not want - that drawer is almost bursting as it is!

Well, that was up until last week!

Last Tuesday I was blog stalking and eventually wandered over to Martina Rosenberg's Chateleaine website - as you do - to see what was there.  You see I had remembered that she has small sized freebies on her website so went sticky beaking...  I have looked at these before but this time I thought - "what I am waiting for.... just pick one and do it!"  So I picked one, printed it off and immediately placed a web order with Colours Down Under for the speciality thread and beads that I knew I didn't have, and the rest they say is history!  The speciality thread and beads (along with other things I just had to buy - $1 charts!!!) arrived in the mail on Friday morning (fantastic service from Jo at Colours Down Under), I then went through my DMC threads and raided the fabric stash to see what evenweave fabric was lurking in there.... normally evenweave doesn't get much of a chance to come out and see the light with me, but I think it was very happy to come out and play as so far it is behaving very nicely!  I have no idea what it is except that it is 28 count... but it is cream and that was good enough for me!

Friday afternoon was spent kitting this little lovely up and luckily I was only missing 4 threads which I was able to pick up from Handcrafters House on Friday night.  Isn't it always the way - it doesn't matter how many threads you have there is almost always one that you have to buy for the next project!

The first couple of tentative stitches were done before I rushed out to meet Hubby for the Colour Workshop in Midland, and then it was full steam ahead on Saturday and Sunday afternoons - or when Oscar kitty let me stitch that is!

And this is the result - my first attempt at a Chatelaine!

Tiny Rose Garden - Freebie
Chatelaine Designs - Martina Rosenberg
This is an idea of what it should look like when finished...
Small but perfectly pretty in every way!
I know it's only little but I feel so grown up!  I think that this little design is a good stepping stone for me to come out of my comfort zone and try something different.  The speciality stitch in this design I can do and there is only a small amount of beading.  So if I can keep the momentum up and finish this I believe I will have gained the confidence to try one of the designs that I bought last year!

Don't worry I will still be doing all my other stitching.... after all I have cards to stitch for the Craftbubble Crazy for Kitties birthday exchange due in May and June; I have my next Cool Cats (Winter) to stitch and I have also signed up for the Summer Exchange for the MS Lovers Blog; and I have just signed up for the Christmas Card exchange on the Margaret Sherry Yahoo group.... so lots of stitching on the horizon - just as well because as we all know "Winter is Coming".

Sorry, this has turned out too be a bit long winded.... but that is my update for the April IHSW.  Yeah, a successful weekend of stitching.  If you want to see what everyone else has done over the weekend, drop in on Joyce's post on this month's IHSW and click on the list of links!  There is lots of visiting to be had!!

Til next time, happy stitching.

14 comments:

  1. the design you chose is great
    and you started well =)
    lot's of stitches on this small design, can't wait to see your progress =D
    Big hugs from France
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely design that you have chosen and a great start. hugs, Kaye xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your first mandala - can't wait to see the finished design. MX

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a beautiful start. I love the colours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. quite a change, but good for you! I'm sure you'll love it and you'll regret not starting earlier:-) Besides if you got a problem, you can always go blog stalking (still wondering if that is what I do also) and ask help from a lot of lovely ladies who are always ready to give advise and help out. Starting a chatelaine sampler doesn't mean you won't do the other things. It is so nice to have lots of variation going on. I haven't done a chatelaine sampler, but I know which one I want to do! Good stitching already and the colors look lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! You started a Chatelaine freebie! I stitched the same one and loved it!! I have it framed now and have just purchased my first big Chatelaine:Knotgarden. I drool over people's Chatelaines too!!! I love all of her freebies. I also stitched Debbie's Roses and want to stitch the violet one! Looks like it was a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done ,Stitching Noni!! :)
    The Rose Garden Chatelaine looks so beautifull and I love every stitch on it !!! :) :)
    It is allways intersting to trye new style of designes.
    How are your handsome kittyes ?-Are "the boys" enjoying their time at your garden ??!

    The Roses and birds at your blog-background are so pretty !!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a beautiful pattern. Good for you for trying something new - and look how well you're getting along.

    ReplyDelete
  9. YAY! You should be proud of yourself! I just stitched that one once (and need to stitch it again) and it's a fairly quick stitch - the corners and the gates are the most irritating part with the Algerian Eyelets being loads of fun! Can't wait to see how you like it (which, I'm sure you will!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Noni!!!! You go girl.... another Chatelaine stitcher comin' right up. hehehehe. This is a great start!! I can't wait to see more of it. :D Which one did you buy last year??? :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's a beautiful project!! Nice start sweetie :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely project and nice work - know exactly what you mean about Chatelaines, I drool over them as well but am afraid to start one (or buy one for that matter...).

    Can't wait to see it finished, it looks great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great start! I am so like you, I really want to start a Chatelaine but only have the freebies downloaded so far.
    I'm about to stitch one of Martine's designs but it's not a Mandala.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oooh I love that kind of design!! I don't stitch, but I love looking at that kind of stuff. Saw you through Parsley's blog and wanted to stop by and say hi! :)

    furrybottoms.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. I do reply (eventually) via email. If you are a no-reply commenter, I will try and remember to leave my reply directly on your blog comment! ♥