I don't have fireflies in my garden - which is a shame... only cats, bees, a dog and the odd dragonfly!! So please settle down with a cuppa, put your feet up and enjoy!

Friday, May 6, 2011

Take me home country roads....

On Wednesday night Mark and I went to see "The John Denver Story - Take Me Home Country Roads" as told/sung by Rick Price.  What an amazing show.

An amazing show and a great night out!
To be honest I wasn't sure about going - while I do love John Denver's music, and I remember Rick Price as a singer from the early 90's, I was a bit hesitant.  I don't usually like tribute shows, and also I hadn't heard a thing about this show, hadn't even seen it advertised - so I had no idea what to expect.  But as Mark was given the tickets by someone at work... I thought well let's go - if it's no good we can always leave during the interval!

What a surprise we got...
After the first song I was smiling and very happy that we had decided to go.  The show was fantastic!!

Rick Price put so much feeling and energy into all the songs that he sang.  At times I would swear that I could almost hear John Denver's voice.  We spoke to Rick after the show and he said that they performed 20 songs in the 2 hour show!  20 lovingly presented songs...

When it came to the end of the show the last song was a really beautifully performed solo - only Rick on the piano and the only one on stage... and then the lights went down as the song drew to a close and all was in darkness....  very moving end to the show.  I wasn't the only one with a hint of a tears in my eyes at the end!

Now the thing to remember is that this show is not a John Denver impersonation or tribute show as such -  it is Rick Price singing the beautiful songs of John Denver interwoven with some narrative of his life story.  There is no denying that John Denver's life was complicated, and in real life he wasn't necessarily the simple country boy that his songs portrayed, some people might not agree with the choices that he made between family and career, but that was his life for better or worse.

An absolutely brilliant show - well worth the effort of going to see it if you get the chance.  Rick Price was brilliant and the Colorado Quartet were fantastic.  What a talented bunch of guys - and all Australian musicians too!!!

John Denver's songs really are timeless classics and there is always a story in the lyrics - and you can actually understand the lyrics!  When I was growing up in the 70's it wasn't cool to be a John Denver fan but it's funny how I knew every single one of those songs performed!  And I could sing along with almost all of the lyrics.....  While we don't have John Denver here anymore we do still have his music and I for one am very grateful that he left behind such a beautiful legacy for us all to enjoy.

At the end of the show we decided to stay back as one of the Theatre attendants told me that Rick Price was going to come out and say hi.... so why not do the groupie thing!  I am so glad that we did stay back an extra 20 minutes.  Rick is a really lovely person and it was a real treat to be able to talk to him about the show and to thank him for a great night's entertainment.  Rick was kind enough to sign our programme and our tickets.  We now have a nice memento of the show - one day I will get around to getting them framed.  (Didn't think about asking him if we could have a photo taken with him though, oh well....)


While I am writing this post I am playing YouTube videos of John Denver.....  I have also discovered that there are 3 rehearsal videos on YouTube from the show.  It was great to watch them - bought back memories of a great night out!

I hope that you have more "days that are diamonds, than days that are stones"

Til next time,

1 comment:

  1. It sounds wonderful and I can't wait til Sunday night to go and see Rick...
    Have a great day!
    Hugs
    Sal

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. I do reply (eventually) via email. If you are a no-reply commenter, I will try and remember to leave my reply directly on your blog comment! ♥