I don't have fireflies in my garden - which is a shame... only cats, bees, a dog and the odd dragonfly!! So please settle down with a cuppa, put your feet up and enjoy!

Friday, March 4, 2011

Totally Useless SAL Update - New Moon 4 March 2011

Welcome to March! I was trying to think of some sage words to start off my TUSAL post - but unfortunately my brain hurts and nothing would materialise to the forefront of the brain cells... so all I can say is Goodbye February, Hello March.

March is such a lovely month - for those of us here in Western Australia we have a public holiday on Monday (yippee) for Labour Day.  Labour Day is celebrated in other countries as well as Australia all for pretty much the same thing - to celebrate the economic and social achievements of workers.  Labour Day's origins are based on eight hours for work, eight hours for recreation, and eight hours for rest.  But for most of us it is just an excuse to have a day off and do some stitching!!!

March is also the month that we celebrate some very special Saints around the world:

St Patrick's Day... for those of us with a trickle or two of Irish blood running through our veins (which I do have a drop of!) it is a day of celebrating all things Irish - the Irish pubs have lots of green beer for sale and everyone is Irish for the day!  But more of that on March 17th!

For the Welsh, March 1st is St David's Day.  We don't hear much about St David here in Australia but for the Welsh he is a National Hero.

March is also the first day of Spring in the Northern Hemisphere, and here in the Southern Hemisphere it is the first day of Autumn... oh yeah and I believe that!!!  Summer still has her grip firmly on us here in WA! 

March is also the Autumn Equinox and Spring Equinox - depending on which half of the world you live in.  The Equinox falls around the 21st March this year.  We have noticed that it is getting darker in the mornings when we get up so it won't be long before we are getting up totally in the dark again - which heralds Winter for us!

And one other big thing that is going to happen in March is a "lunar perigee" or in English - the Moon will the biggest we have seen for 18 years.  This means that it will closer to the Earth than it has been since 1993.  So exciting!!  Note to self - have to get the telescope out on March 19th to have a look and see if I can find the "man in the moon"!

Anyway that's enough about the exciting month of March!  You are all waiting to see what my TUSAL jar looks like this new moon.  I have lots more ORT's in there but they are still mainly butterfly ORT's.  This butterfly has taken longer to stitch than I thought it would but we are on the home stretch and it will finished this weekend... then I can stitch a bit more on my February MS cat, and start Pooh for my next Quilts 4 Kids square.  So lots to be getting on with....

Ok, so where did I discover the ORT's hiding this month - on the Buddha shelf surrounded by beautiful crystals!  Think they are trying to tell me that it's time to get back to the Bonsai and Buddha WIP that is fast becoming a UFO!

TUSAL Jar update
New moon - 4 March 2011
For more info on the TUSAL pop over to Daffycat's blog

I hope that everyone has had a productive month of stitching in February and I look forward to seeing what is stitched in March.


Until next time,

4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness - I totally forgot it's that time again. I better post my pic! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seek it here,
    I seek it there,
    I seek my ORT's but everywhere!
    Mx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woo ~ that is a lot of ORTs, Noni!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great progress on your TUSAL jar - you've clearly been busy stitching!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. I do reply (eventually) via email. If you are a no-reply commenter, I will try and remember to leave my reply directly on your blog comment! ♥