I don't have fireflies in my garden - which is a shame... only cats, bees, a dog and the odd dragonfly!! So please settle down with a cuppa, put your feet up and enjoy!

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Top o the morning to you!


It's St Patrick's Day today - 17th March.  All around the world today is the day that people will be "wearing the green" and will be Irish for the day! 

March 17th is actually the date that St Patrick died in 461....  St Patrick's Feast Day has been celebrated by the Irish since the 9th and 10th centuries, and over the years St Patrick has become the patron of Ireland.  Since those humble beginnings St Patrick's Day has grown to become an international event with parades and parties and lots of "green beer" being consumed all over the world.

The Irish have a number of blessings and sayings for all occasions, and I have found a lovely blessing for friends that I would like to share with you today.

A Wish for a Friend
Wishing you a rainbow
For sunlight after showers-
Miles and miles of Irish smiles
For golden happy hours-
Shamrocks at your doorway
For luck and laughter too,
And a host of friends that never ends
Each day your whole life through!

While trawling the internet for St Patrick's images I also found a great fun website devoted to St Patrick's Day - http://stpatricksday.com/

I hope that everyone enjoys St Patrick's Day no matter what you may be doing.



May your day be touched by a bit of Irish luck, brightened by a song in your heart, and warmed by the smiles of the people you love




Til next time,

4 comments:

  1. I wish you a Happy St. Patricks Day. As I'm Irish and live in Ireland I've a wee poem for you too.

    Hills as green as emeralds
    Cover the countryside
    Lakes as blue as sapphires-
    And Ireland’s special pride
    And rivers that shine like silver
    Make Ireland look so fair-
    But the friendliness of her people
    Is the richest treasure there

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy St. Patty's day to you too! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy St Patrick's Day!!!

    Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ruth, what a lovely poem, thank you :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. I do reply (eventually) via email. If you are a no-reply commenter, I will try and remember to leave my reply directly on your blog comment! ♥